Be a part of the World AIDS Day Memorial
08 Oct 2020
This year, due to COVID-19, the 2020 World AIDS Day Memorial will be carried out without people gathering at the Positive Living Centre. There will be an online event and we are encouraging members of the public to contribute to this year’s memorial.
The event will include the World AIDS Day Remembrance Ceremony to remember and honour the people we have loved and who have left us.
We remember partners, sons, daughters, parents, brothers, sisters, friends and chosen family — people who have been tremendously important in our lives. We will honour these people who live on in our hearts and our memories by naming them and lighting a candle for them.
We are encouraging you to send us memories of your loved ones. Here is a guide on how you can participate.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
Share your memories via video message from your phone or tablet
- Aim for your video message to be around 7 seconds (20 seconds maximum)
- You can say the person’s name (first name only please). You may wish to include other information such as: when they died, their relationship with you, or any message you would like to convey. Just keep in mind that this event will be streamed online so please be mindful of mentioning personal details. If you choose, you can also light a candle for them in your video.
- Record your message in landscape/horizontal format.
- Keep your background simple and make sure you have enough lighting so we can clearly see your face.
- Find a quiet spot to record - be mindful of background noise.
- There are a few ways you can submit your video:
Share your memories in a written message
- Email us with your written message of no more than 75 characters.
HOW WE WILL USE YOUR MESSAGE
- Your message will become part of a montage used for the Remembrance ceremony or in a similar compilation during AIDS Awareness Week leading up to the event.
- The deadline for submission of your contribution is Sunday 22 November 2020.
- By sending in your contributions you agree and provide consent for Thorne Harbour Health to use the video, text and images for the purpose of this year's World AIDS Day event and/or related online content.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO?
- Attend the event! You can find more details here on the event page which will be updated as more details are finalised.
- Spread the word - We hope this online event will reach a larger audience both nationally and internationally. Please feel free to forward this on to your loved ones, your friends and your networks.