- Provide proof of HIV Status
- Demonstrated receipt of a Social Security Benefit or Pension for Emergency financial assistance
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Resident of Victoria
- Provide a Centrelink income statement for Emergency financial assistance
Financial (David Williams Fund)
The David Williams Fund (DWF) was established in 1986 to provide emergency financial assistance to people living with HIV (PLHIV) who are experiencing financial hardship. The fund relies upon donations.
- Financial counselling
- Food vouchers
- Study assist
- One-to-one financial literacy
- Emergency financial assistance
- Advice and referral to No interest loans (NILS) providers
Poverty affects a substantial number of PLHIV, and demand for assistance regularly outstrips the funding available. Each year, the DWF distributes over $100,000 to PLHIV in Victoria. The fund is totally reliant upon donations as well as various community fundraisers such as Northside Bizarre and Mooning hosted by the Laird Hotel.
WHAT WE CAN ASSIST WITH
Assistance may be provided for any item that will legitimately improve and enhance the health and wellbeing of PLHIV.
Items for consideration may include:
- Medical, pharmaceutical, dental and optical expenses
- Food vouchers
- Utilities – or assistance with getting government grants or setting up an affordable payment plan
- White goods, e.g., refrigerator, washing machine
- Two weeks rent or mortgage payments may be considered after government funding has been exhausted
- Rates and body corporate fees
- Removal/storage expenses
- Funeral assistance in extreme cases
- Childcare costs
- Beds and manchester
The fund does not pay for:
- Legal, fines, loans/credit cards, pawned items & accounts already paid – however our financial counselling service may be able to assist with negotiating with banks, debt collectors and options for fines.
All applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis. No application is guaranteed.
You can discuss your application with the DWF Emergency Relief Officer to determine the likelihood of your application being approved.
DWF application forms are available online or at the Positive Living Centre, 51 Commercial Road, South Yarra.
DWF Registration Form – For a first application only
DWF Subsequent Form
DWF Emergency Food Voucher
DWF Study Assist Registration – For a first application only
DWF Subsequent Study Assist Form
Centrelink Income Statement - Request Form (Print only, digital not available)
Another useful resource is The Guide to Relief Throughout Victoria.