Gay Asian Proud: Self Defence Class
Gay Asian Proud (GAP) is running a 2-hour self-defence class is specially designed for Asian same sex-attracted men (cis and transgender).
Register for this FREE event
Participants will learn basic techniques to avoid being victims of violence in public, in clubs, and on dates. Basic standing defences on how to maintain distance from potential perpetrators, avoiding grab and choke holds, and different ways to escape when taken down to the ground will be taught. Class size is limited to 20 participants.
A lunch gathering at Roti Road (189/193 Barkly Street, Footscray) will follow at 2pm immediately after the class finishes.
The self-defence class and lunch are open to all GAP members and Asian same sex-attracted men. Participants who wish to attend either the self-defence class or lunch or both must register at Eventbrite.
The self-defence class venue is kindly sponsored by Gerard Smith, Head Instructor at Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Footscray.
Important notes for self-defence class participants:
- Be aware of your own health and fitness. If you have existing health or medical conditions that may put you at risk, consult your healthcare professional before participating in the self-defence class. Participants are required to sign a consent form that will be emailed to you 2 days before the event.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing without zips to prevent injury to self and others. We recommend sports attire such as T-shirt, singlet, shorts and tracksuit pants.
- Bring your own water bottle or drinking water.
- Toilets and changing room facilities are available on site.
- As lunch starts late at approximately 2pm after the self-defence class finishes, please make sure you eat well before you arrive for class.
If you wish to be on GAP's mailing list and be invited to future events, please sign up here.