- Provide proof of HIV Status
- Demonstrated receipt of a Social Security Benefit or Pension
- Demonstrated financial hardship
- Resident of Victoria
- Provide a Centrelink income statement
Financial (David Williams Fund)
The David Williams Fund (DWF) was established in 1986 to provide emergency financial assistance to people living with HIV (PLHIV) who are experiencing financial hardship. The fund relies upon donations.
- Financial advice and referral - financial counselling
- Food vouchers
- Study assist
- Money Matter Workshops
- Emergency financial assistance
- No interest loans (NILS)
Poverty affects a substantial number of PLHIV, and demand for assistance regularly outstrips the funding available. Each year, the DWF distributes over $100,000 to PLHIV in Victoria. The fund is totally reliant upon donations as well as various community fundraisers such as the annual Northside Bizarre hosted by the Laird Hotel.
WHAT WE CAN ASSIST WITH
Assistance may be provided for any item that will legitimately improve and enhance the health and wellbeing of PLHIV.
Items for consideration may include:
- Medical, pharmaceutical, dental and optical expenses
- Food vouchers
- Utilities – or assistance with getting government grants or setting up an affordable payment plan
- White goods, e.g., refrigerator, washing machine
- Two weeks rent or mortgage payments may be considered
- Motor vehicle/bike repairs
- Removal/storage expenses
- Rates and body corporate fees
- Funeral assistance (must be prior to applicant’s death)
- Childcare and/or respite costs
- Beds and manchester
The fund does not assist with
- Legal, fines, loans/credit cards, pawned items & accounts already paid – however our financial counselling service may be able to assist with negotiating with banks, debt collectors and options for fines
All applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis. No application is guaranteed.
You can discuss your application with the DWF Co-ordinator to determine the likelihood of your application being approved.
Please note that DWF applications are not accepted by fax.
DWF application forms are available online or at the following locations:
- Positive Living Centre, 51 Commercial Road, South Yarra.
- Thorne Harbour Health, 615 St Kilda Road, Level 5, Melbourne.
- The Social Work Department of the Alfred Hospital.
- The HIV Coordinator at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- DWF Registration Form – For new applications
- DWF Subsequent Form
- DWF Emergency Food Voucher
- DWF Study Assist Registration
- DWF Subsequent Study Assist Form
- Centrelink Income Statement - Request Form
If you are interested in applying for a loan under the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS), please download and read this info pack before you contact us.
Another useful resource is The Guide to Relief Throughout Victoria.
The DWF is run from the Positive Living Centre in South Yarra.
For more information on the fund, contact:
Positive Living Centre
51 Commercial Road
South Yarra, Victoria 3141
Phone: (03) 9863 0444
Fax: (03) 9820 3166
Free-call: 1800 134 840