At your first appointment, your information will be reviewed, and we will explain the way we work as well as answer any questions you may have. During the first session, we might:
- Ask 'What brought you to The Cottage?'
- Learn from you what your hopes are for seeking support from The Cottage, and help you set goals that you would like to achieve from counselling or care and recovery
- Explain how our service works
- Ask some questions about your history, including your childhood, education, relationships, your current living situation, and your career
- Advise on other services or supports, if any, might be helpful whilst you wait for an allocation
Some questions might not be relevant for you or you may not comfortable with. If that’s the case, we can skip those. The first appointment is also a chance for you to check us out. You might have questions about the service, different therapy approaches, or confidentiality. Feel free to ask.