icons / menu

To leave this site quickly, click the Quick Exit button.

icons / cross

Alternatively, hit the escape key.

icons / angleLeft COVID-19

Homelessness During COVID-19

The serious challenges of homelessness or housing insecurity have been intensified during the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).

  • Housing Access Points have been funded to provide additional emergency accommodation and assistance to people in rental arrears. Contact your local Access Point to discuss your eligibility.
  • Some crisis accommodation facilities are still taking referrals, but some have closed referrals and extended the length of stay so tenants have secure housing during COVID-19.

For Renters:

For information about the changes to tenancy law, renters rights, and responsibilities during COVID head tenantsvic.org.au. This site includes information about applying for rent reduction and the embargo on evictions.


If you're experiencing Homelessness or Housing Insecurity in Victoria

Step 1: If you are experiencing or at risk of homelessness you need to contact an Access Point. There are a number of Access Points around Melbourne. Your Access Point is determined by the region on your healthcare card. It is important to call your regional Access Point as it is the only one that can provide assistance. To find your Access Point Call 1800 825 955.

Step 2: Call the Access Point and request to speak with an Initial Assessment and Planning (IAP) worker. They will complete an assessment of your housing circumstances and make referrals to relevant support programs and housing options. If you meet the criteria, they may also provide funds for emergency accommodation or to sustain or set-up a tenancy.

Please note:

  • If you are an Australian citizen and have lost your income but do not have a healthcare card, homelessness services may be able to provide emergency housing support while you submit a Centrelink claim. Contact your local IAP office to complete an assessment.
  • If you are an international traveller experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness, and you are not seeking asylum in Australia, you can contact the your local IAP for an assessment for emergency housing and advice about a long term housing plan.
  • If you are seeking asylum in Australia and are experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness, contact ASRC on (03) 9326 6066 for housing support.


Thorne Harbour relies upon your continued support